We always value your feedback to help us improve the website Please leave your comments here.

Text size:

Equipment and adaptations for people 18 and over

If you are disabled or you are experiencing difficulty with daily living activities, specialist equipment and adaptations can help you to remain living independently and safely in your own home. We can provide help to private home owners and council tenants.

There is a range of equipment and adaptations available to help with a variety of day to day tasks, from large equipment like hoists to smaller things such as hand rails. Adaptations and equipment can help you with -

  • getting in and out of bed
  • getting on and off the toilet or in and out of the bath
  • walking up and down the stairs
  • getting in and out of the house
  • We cannot provide any equipment to you if you have a temporary problem such as a fracture. Please contact the fracture clinic where you were treated or your GP for equipment to help you whilst you recover

If you are over 18, live in Hull and feel you may need support, contact us to discuss how we might be able to help. You can contact us yourself or ask someone else to do it for you.

To ask for an assessment or to talk about your needs –

  • contact us on telephone 01482 300 300 or text phone 01482 300 349
  • visit your local customer service centre
  • email us at socialcare@hullcc.gov.uk

Customer service centres at - 

The Wilson CentreBransholme
The Orchard Centre and Kenworthy House

Please check opening times before visiting, these can be found on the Hull City Council website here. (external website)


Assessments for children under 18 years.

Once you have contacted us, an occupational therapist will arrange to meet you at your home to assess your needs. The occupational therapist may provide advice about how you can do things differently, or they may find we can help with equipment, aids and/or adaptations.

If you require adaptations to your property, a member of the occupational therapy team will advise you about any cost implication before any work is undertaken.

The occupational therapy team will also advise you on any grants available to contribute to the costs. You may be required to make a contribution for any adaptations following a grant application. You will not be able to apply for a grant for any work that has been undertaken without an assessment being completed.

  • Disabled facilities grants
  • If you need adaptations to your home because of your age or a disability, you may be eligible to receive a disabled facilities grant to help towards the cost of the adaptations work. These grants are means tested and can provide up to £30,000 of financial support
  • Bathing equipment – ask your GP to refer you to the Occupational Therapy Service
  • For equipment repair, maintenance and removal contact NRS Healthcare on 0844 893 6375 or email enquiries@her.nrs-uk.net
  • Adapted council properties - If you are interested in becoming a council tenant and you or someone you live with are elderly or disabled, we have a number of existing adapted properties that may meet the needs of you and your family

Tel - 01482 300 300Text phone - 01482 300 349

Last updated: 11/3/2021