We always value your feedback to help us improve the website Please leave your comments here.

Text size:

Carer Assessment

The Care Act 2014 now guarantee’s all carers are entitled to a carer’s assessment. If you are a carer, a carer’s assessment is often the first step to getting the help and support you need. You can request a carers’ assessment either from the Carers Information Support Service or directly from Hull City Council. If you provide regular and substantial care and you don’t get paid for it, then you should request a carer’s assessment

The carer assessment considers the impact caring for someone has on you as a carer.

It includes things like –

  •  the support you provide
  •  the help you need
  •  difficulties you might have providing care
  •  your feelings about continuing care
  •  what you want to achieve in your day to day life
  •  if the you want to carry on caring
  •  whether you want to continue working or want to work
  •  taking into account your social activity
  •  whether you study or want to study

A carer’s assessment can be done in private and in confidence. If you wish, there is no need for anyone other than your worker to know what is in the assessment.

Once the carer’s assessment is complete, you get support to develop an individual action plan. This includes practical advice as well as being signposted to local groups and services that can support you. 
The assessment also advises you whether you are eligible for financial support from Hull City Council.

Your care plan

If your assessment shows you are eligible for support the council works with you to write a support plan. This details the support you need and where you can get it from. This could include -

  •  equipment or adaptations to your home
  •  respite care which could take a wide range of forms
  •  paying someone else to do the things you can’t do for yourself because of your caring role

You can request a carers assessment at any stage of your caring role. This includes at the point that the cared person is being assessed. This makes it easier for the council to take into account your needs as well as the needs of the cared person.

To request a carers assessment contact either –

Hull City Council via –

  •  telephone 0482 300 300

in person at - The Wilson Centre, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AG

Alternatively, you can contact the Carers Information and Support Service information here.

They can arrange to meet with you at their office or a suitable place in the community.


Last updated: 11/15/2021