You get Child Benefit if you’re responsible for one or more children under 16 (or under 20 if they stay in approved education or training). There’s no limit to how many children you can claim for.
- Only one person can get Child Benefit for a child.
- You must report any change of circumstances to the Child Benefit Office.
- You may have to pay a tax charge if your (or your partner’s) individual income is over £50,000.
You can choose not to get Child Benefit payments, but you should still fill in the claim form because:
- it will help you get National Insurance credits which count towards your State Pension
- it will ensure your child is registered to get a National Insurance number when they’re 16 years old
Find more information here (external website)