We always value your feedback to help us improve the website Please leave your comments here.

Text size:

Out of area special schools and colleges

Lists of all independent schools and colleges for children with special educational needs or disability (SEND), including:

NMSS are schools that the Secretary of State for Education has approved under section 342 of the Education Act 1996.

You can filter the lists by local authority or by type of school.

Read the SEND code of practice for parents to find out how to name one of these schools in a child’s education, health and care (EHC) plan.

Visit the school and college performance tables if you’d like to find out about special schools or colleges maintained by a local authority.

Read our guide for independent special schools and colleges interested in applying for approval under section 41.


Parent/carers can find choosing a school for a child with SEN or disabilities to be a big decision. You may be choosing your child’s primary school, a change of school or your child’s secondary school. You are likely to be looking for a school that:

  • can meet your child’s special educational needs or disabilities
  • can provide them with the opportunity to make friends
  • enables your child to be involved in a variety of in-school and out-of-school activities
  • is as close to home as possible.

For more information on what to consider when choosing a school

Choosing a school (eastridinglocaloffer.org.uk) (Opens in a new window)

Last updated: 11/9/2023